Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Oatmeal Cookies with Organic Coconut Oil and Flax Seed


Oatmeal Cookies with Organic Coconut Oil and Flax Seed

Here is also a great link that tells you the Health Benefits of Flax Seeds

One evening my husband and I stopped by our friend’s house Jen who is an amazing mountain biker and adventure racer. We sat at the counter and there were those amazing looking cookies just staring at us. Jen offered us to try some since her finance Tom just made them. They were just so incredibly good, after finishing one I had to reach for the next one. I am not a cookie or any sweats really craving person but those cookies were delicious and had this amazing coconut flavor and aroma.

It didn’t take long for me to really want to have a basic recipe for them and I was advised not to be afraid to experiment with them and tweak things here and there.

I consider myself a pretty good cook since I grew up in Poland after all and my father just makes the best meals on the planet and I watched him cook since I was a child. So I naturally always knew how to make the most complicated and great meals. We never baked however or maybe not often enough; therefore I never had the smallest clue how to bake anything! I was sure you need some chemistry class for it, well which I took in my college (not for the baking cookies reason) but still I wasn’t sure if I can make a cookie on my own.

But I tried and right away I changed things little bit around to my liking and as my friend Mona said the cookies I made did come out to be more of the breakfast cookie and less of the desert ones. This is just exactly what I wanted. I wanted healthy, nutrition dense snack that I could take with me for my trainings and events. We travel a lot and there is just nothing more comforting than having within your reach homemade cookies packed with healthy energy and at the same time being so amazingly tasty and satisfying.

Until today each time I make a new batch, they always come out a little bit different but so adequately delicious.

Anything you can think of can go into them and please do not be scared to experiment like I am.

You can add coconut chunks, raisins, cranberries, bananas, graded apple, chopped apricot, nuts, chocolate chips, chia or flax seeds. There is pretty much no limit what you can add to them.
Fact is that no matter which way I decide to make them, they are going with me to work, to the car when I’m driving to training or to the plane when I travel for a race. And yes my husband loves them as much as I do.


Garden of Life ready for the baking to begin...

Oatmeal Cookie Recipe

(When you use Gluten Free flower cookies will be Gluten free since Oatmeal are naturally free of gluten)

•             1-cups Wheat Flour or Gluten Free Baking Flower 
•             2 large Eggs
•             1 tsp Cinnamon
•             1/2 tsp Sea Salt
•             1 tsp Baking Soda
•             1 tsp Vanilla
•             1 cup Brown Sugar
•             ¾ cup Garden of Life Organic Coconut Oil
•             2 tbs Softened Butter
•             3 cups Oats
•             1 Graded Apple or 1 apple sauce
•             1 cup Raisins
•             ¼ cup Garden of Life graded Flax Seed and Chia Seed
•             ½ cup Unsweetened Coconut Chunks



Directions

Preheat oven to 350°F. 


Mixing the sugar and oil first...
Beat butter and sugars together until smooth. Add vanilla and eggs; beat well. In a separate bowl, blend flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. 

Raisins, Flax and Chia Seed in flower blend, I also added this time for fun handful of dark chocolate...
Stir flour blend into wet ingredients. Add oats and raisins and mix well. Drop rounded tablespoons of dough onto un-greased cookie sheet. 


All ingredients mixed together and ready to go on the baking sheet and to the oven...

Bake for 10 – 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool one minute then transfer to wire rack. This recipe makes about 4 dozen cookies.

And our Cookies are ready to be served...


Enjoy!
Beata


No comments:

Post a Comment